OAKLEY PLANTATION HOUSE
Open: Daily, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Grounds are open the year around.
Closed: Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day.
Directions: From St. Francisville, take State Road 965 for three miles.
The Oakley Plantation, established on a 700-arpent Spanish land grant in 1799. The house reflects the expertise of colonials in dealing with a hot and humid climate. The shallow depth and heavy jalousied galleries all speak of the West Indies method of climate control.
The rooms at Oakley have been restored in the style of the last Federal period, reflecting the time when Audubon stayed there, painting and acting as tutor to the owner's daughter.
Oakley is owned by the State of Louisiana and administered by the Department of Parks and Recreation.
The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in the State of Louisiana furnished the library in the appropriate styles of Sheraton and Hepplewhite when the house was acquired by the State in 1947. The Baton Rouge Committee continues to fund maintenance annually.
NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES