Octagon House, 1861
2645 Gough Street (at Union Street)
San Francisco, CA 94123-4402
Open: 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm the second and fourth Thursdays and second Sunday of every month.
Closed: January and all legal holidays
Phone: (415) 441-7512
Fax: (415) 441-7540
AboutThis two-story, cupola-topped wooden structure was built by William C. McElroy, a miller, during a national craze for octagonal residences. The house was sold to the California Society in 1952 for one dollar on the condition that they move it. The Dames moved the house across Gough St. to a lot donated by two members. After extensive renovation, Octagon House became the California Society headquarters and a house museum.
National Register of Historic Places 1972
San Francisco Landmark No. 17, 1968
DirectionsFrom Golden Gate Bridge, go east on Lombard, turn south on Gough three blocks to Union. From downtown south, go north on Van Ness, turn west on Union for two blocks. A public parking garage is 2 ½ blocks west on the north side of