AboutIn 1674 John Skene, a Quaker from Scotland and the first Free Mason in the colonies, bought 300 acres of land in the second tenth of the Province of West Jersey and named the property “Peachfield.” Henry Burr purchased the property from Skene’s widow in 1695. He added the east portion of the house in 1725 and his son added the west portion in 1732. The property remained in the Burr family for nearly 200 years. The property was bequeathed to the New Jersey Society in 1965.
National Register of Historic Places
Certified New Jersey Historic Site
DirectionsFrom the New Jersey Turnpike, take exit 5 on to Route 541 toward Mount Holly. Turn right onto Burrs Road (jug handle) crossing Route 541 straight to Peachfield; approximately 2 miles from exit 5.