The Old Schoolhouse, 1759
AboutIn June 1759, 21 citizens of Mount Holly (nine Quakers, eight Episcopalians, four of unknown religion) subscribed for 25 shares to buy land and build a schoolhouse. In 1815, the surviving heirs of the builders deeded the building to the Female Benevolent Society. For 136 years, the schoolhouse remained in the possession of the Female Benevolent Society, until 1951 when it was presented to the New Jersey Society for preservation and restoration. It is the oldest schoolhouse in New Jersey on its original site.
State Register of Historic Places
DirectionsFrom the New Jersey Turnpike take Exit 5 onto Route 541 toward Mount Holly. Continue into town on High Street. After crossing Garden St., Brainerd St. is on the left. Parking is available.