50 Tea Garden Drive in front of the deYoung Museum, Golden Gate Park
San Francisco, CA
AboutIn 1907 the California Society gave a sundial to the City of San Francisco for Golden Gate Park. They commissioned M. Earl Cumings, a prominent San Francisco sculptor, to design and execute the sundial in commemoration of the first three European navigators of the California coast: Fortuno Jiminez of Spain, 1534; Juan Cabrillo of Portugal, 1543; and Francis Drake of England, 1579. Refurbished in 1995, the sundial stands on the approach of the new deYoung Museum and the California Society celebrated the sundial’s centennial in 2007 with a ceremony to which the consuls general of Spain, Portugal and Great Britain were invited.