The First Presbyterian Church, 1740
1420 West Street
Corner of Park Drive and West Street
Wilmington, DE 19801
Open: April - October, second Sunday of the month 2:00 - 4:00 pm or by application to the President of the Delaware Society
AboutThis little gambrel-roofed brick structure was the first Presbyterian church built in Wilmington. It was completed in 1740 and that date is outlined in glazed brick on the north wall of the building. When the British occupied Wilmington after the Battle of the Brandywine (1777), the church was used as a hospital for their wounded soldiers.
National Register of Historic Places
Accredited NSCDA Museum Properties