October 23, 2018
The NSCDA has a long history with Jamestown and specifically, the Memorial Church on the island. In 1906, the NSCDA provided funds to re-erect a Memorial Church to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the first permanent English Settlement in North America. The church was presented to the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (APVA), now Preservation Virginia, in 1907.
One hundred years later in 2007, the NSCDA provided funding to restore the original foundation of the Memorial Church and on October 23, 2018 the Dames reaffirmed their commitment to support the church and Jamestown Rediscovery by providing a $52,000 donation to help facilitate restoration work to the exterior “envelope” of the building.
“The construction of the Jamestown Memorial Church was the first preservation project undertaken by the NSCDA and is a project that is near to our hearts,” Anna Duff, President of the NSCDA, remarked at the intimate memorial service in front of the church. “Jamestown was the cradle of democracy and it is important for us as an organization to continue our preservation efforts in collaboration with Historic Jamestown.”
In the Press: