Open: Please visit above website for most up to date information.
Directions: Three miles north of Newport on Berkeley Avenue, between Route 138 and Green End Avenue.
Whitehall, built by the renowned philosopher, Bishop George Berkeley, and in which he lived while in America, was given in 1900 to The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations as a perpetual memorial to him.
Berkeley had hoped to establish a college in Bermuda for the purpose of educating colonists and native Indians for the ministry. He bought 96 acres of farmland surrounding the house as a base of supplies for the college. Failing to receive the promised funds from the Crown, he returned to Ireland, giving his entire holdings to Yale College. The house is an unusual hip-roofed building with a long, sloping lean-to across the back and a Palladian doorway. The colonial furnishings and the herb garden, designed and maintained by the Newport Garden Club, are in keeping with the period of 1729-1731 when Berkeley resided there.
NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES